Arizona Dermacare Plastic Surgery offers a Body Lift to help those who have experienced significant weight loss, giving them a more positive image of themselves.
A body lift is a similar concept to a facelift, which smoothes and tightens the skin and underlying tissues, and removes unwanted pockets of fat to eliminate loose skin. However, the most common reason for a body lift is not aging, but rather skin that cannot conform to body contours because of lost or poor elasticity after weight loss, liposuction or other body-shape changes. And while a facelift may redistribute fat, a body lift will more likely remove it in conjunction with liposuction or excision (cutting the fat out).
For some Phoenix patients, the underlying issue is not fat, but rather excess skin. The younger patients who benefit from a body lift are those who have gained and lost a large amount of weight. This combination stresses the skin to shapes and proportions that can only be corrected through a body lift procedure.
To find out if Body Lift plastic surgery is right for you, contact Arizona Dermacare Plastic Surgery for your consultation at our office location in Goodyear, Arizona. You can meet with our board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Rod, and be on your way to a more positive image of yourself.
What is a Body Lift?
A Body Lift procedure will improve the shape and tone of the underlying tissue that supports fat and skin.
Excess sagging fat and loose skin are removed to treat the conditions caused in part by poor tissue elasticity. A Body Lift can also improve a dimpled, irregular skin surface, commonly known as cellulite. In cases where skin elasticity is poor, a combination of liposuction and body lift techniques may be recommended.
Body Lift plastic surgery is suggested to correct excess loose and sagging skin, and irregular contours of the following:
- Abdominal area, locally or extending around the sides and into the lower back area
- Buttocks, that may be low, flat or shaped unevenly
- Groin, that may sag into the inner thigh
- Thigh, including the inner, outer, or posterior thigh, or circumferentially
- Upper arms, including the armpit region
Body Lift Plastic Surgery Candidates
Good candidates for a Body Lift procedure are:
- Phoenix individuals with significant soft tissue looseness in one or multiple body areas
- Healthy individuals without medical conditions that impair healing or increase risk of surgery
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic goals for what body lift surgery can accomplish
- Individuals committed to leading a healthy lifestyle with proper nutrition and fitness
Body Lift Procedure
- Anesthesia will be administered, allowing you to be asleep throughout the procedure.
- Incisions are made depending on the amount and location of the excess skin and fat. You and Dr. Rod will determine beforehand which incision technique will be recommended for your needs.
- Excess skin will be removed and the remaining skin is then pulled into its new position. The underlying abdominal muscles may also be tightened as in a tummy tuck. In addition, the belly button may need to be repositioned.
- The incision will be closed with sutures and supported with surgical tape and skin adhesive. You will have dressings or bandages applied over the incisions. You may have small tubes placed under the skin to help drain any excess blood or fluid that may collect.
- You will be monitored by a surgical staff after your plastic surgery. You should make arrangements to have a friend, family member or caregiver stay with you for the first 24 hours after you are released from the hospital.
Body Lift Recovery
Most Phoenix patients who have undergone a Body Lift procedure will be able to return to non-strenuous work after two to three weeks.
You should not resume a strenuous work or exercise until four to six weeks have passed. This is because you don’t want to subject your incisions to any excessive force, abrasion, or motion during your recovery. As with all surgery, it is important to understand that these guidelines can vary widely based on the patient’s personal health, the techniques used, and other variable factors surrounding the surgery. Any severe pain should be reported to your doctor immediately.
Body Lift Risks & Complications
All surgeries have some degree of risks or complications associated with them, some of these possible risks include:
- Unfavorable scarring and/or skin discoloration
- Excessive bleeding or hematoma
- Skin or fat necrosis (tissue death)
- Poor wound healing or wound separation
- Blood clots
- Anesthesia risks
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Persistent edema (swelling) or fluid accumulation
- Persistent pain
- Temporary or permanent change/loss of skin sensation
- Unsatisfactory aesthetic results requiring revision surgery
- Recurrent looseness or sagging of skin
To find out if a Body Lift will help you achieve your desired aesthetic goals, schedule your consultation with Dr. Rod of Arizona Dermacare Plastic Surgery today. Contact us at our office in Phoenix, Arizona at (623) 535-7050.