What is Breast Augmentation?
Whether you’ve always wanted larger breasts or you want to get back the fullness that you’ve lost after pregnancy, breast augmentation can give you a beautiful, natural-looking appearance. The procedure can help you wear a wider variety of clothes and swimsuits, have greater confidence, and truly love the way that you look.
In over ten years in practice, Dr. Rod has performed hundreds of breast augmentation procedures for patients seeking enhancement and rejuvenation. He is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and American Board of Surgery and is fellowship-trained through the Mayo Clinic in advanced cosmetic procedures. Phoenix patients choose him for breast augmentation because of his commitment to results that appear natural and exceptionally pretty and his prioritization of patient safety and comfort.
Dr. Rod’s Approach to Breast Augmentation
The results of your plastic surgery should reflect your personal aesthetic goals, and they should be in harmony with your body’s other features. Dr. Rod focuses on this type of change in his procedures: graceful, artful, and beautiful.
He achieves this outcome by spending extensive time in consultations, helping patients choose implants for their breast augmentation. Selecting the right style and size leads to natural-looking fullness and an attractive shape.
Dr. Rod also emphasizes individual care in treatment and safety in the surgical approach. The consultation allows him to understand the features that patients most want to change and to address these areas in the surgery. The breast augmentation procedure takes place at a Phoenix-area surgery center or hospital under general anesthesia. This provides his patients with all of the resources they need for a safe, predictable outcome and comfortable treatment throughout the process.
Your Experience With Breast Augmentation: From Consultation to Recovery
Your Initial Visit
Dermacare Plastic Surgery welcomes you to schedule your initial consultation with our practice. Other than the breast augmentation surgery itself, all of your appointments will take place at our Phoenix office, making the entire experience more convenient for you.
As part of your consultation, Dr. Rod will talk with you about the type of change that you’d like to see in your appearance. You may also discuss topics such as:
- Whether an augmentation alone will give you the results that you want. In some cases, patients will benefit from a breast augmentation combined with a breast lift, which raises the breast to a younger, perkier position and re-centers the nipple.
- The type of implants you will receive. Dr. Rod uses silicone-based implants from Mentor®, a well-established manufacturer and the only U.S.-based producer of breast implants. In Dr. Rod’s experience, silicone provides a much better result for patients compared to saline.
- The shape of your implants. Dr. Rod can use either round or shaped implants depending on your preference. He can help you understand the different features and benefits of each.
Choosing your implants is a collaborative experience, and Dr. Rod will guide you through all of your options. Our practice uses the Mentor BodyLogic® system, which helps Dr. Rod recommend implants that enhance each patient’s appearance in a natural-looking, noticeable way. With this system, you should have a near-exact idea of the type of outcome you will get.
The Day of Your Procedure
When you decide that you are ready for breast augmentation, you will complete the pre-operative steps with our office and schedule your procedure. Your surgery will be at one of several Phoenix medical facilities where Dr. Rod operates. Breast augmentation is an outpatient procedure, and you will be able to go home on the same day.
To support your safety and comfort:
- You will have your breast augmentation under carefully monitored general anesthesia. This will allow you to be relaxed and to rest through the surgery.
- Rod will typically make the incision at the place where your breast meets your chest. This choice is the best option for placing the implant correctly and for preventing infection.
- Rod will use the advanced KELLER FUNNEL® “touchless” system. This technique significantly decreases the risk of complications such as capsular contracture.
Dr. Rod will take the time during the procedure to sculpt breasts that are fuller, aesthetically appealing, well balanced, and in line with your personal goals.
Recovering From Breast Augmentation
After you wake up from general anesthesia, you will head home from the Phoenix-area facility where you had your surgery. You will come back to Dermacare Plastic Surgery for a check-up appointment 2-3 days after your breast augmentation, and Dr. Rod will evaluate how you are progressing in your recovery.
Dr. Rod will also see you at 10 days, six weeks, three months, and six months post-op. Please do not hesitate to call the practice in between follow-up visits if you have any questions or concerns.
Phoenix patients typically experience some discomfort and muscle spasms within the first 4-5 days after surgery. The latter symptom is a natural result of placing the breast implant beneath the muscle, which is the approach Dr. Rod uses for most of his patients. The majority of patients use a combination of pain and muscle relaxant medications that our practice prescribes to maintain their comfort, and then the symptoms improve by the fifth day.
Restrictions are relatively light:
- We advise our Phoenix breast augmentation patients to limit upper body activity for six weeks. Most people can head back to work and other normal activities once they feel well enough.
- You will not have any surgical drains following the procedure, which should make your recovery more comfortable.
- Sutures are resorbable, so you won’t need to have Dr. Rod remove them.
By six months after your breast augmentation, any residual swelling should have gone down, and you should be able to enjoy the benefits of your procedure: full, natural-looking enhancement and the freedom and confidence that come from this physical change.
Your Best Option for a Breast Augmentation in Phoenix
Whether you have always wanted a fuller figure or you want to get back your pre-baby body, learn more about breast augmentation with Dr. Rod. Schedule an appointment with his practice online or by calling the office in Phoenix at (623) 535-7050.